Welcome to the September Edition of “why tf aren’t these features in Stadia yet?” Where we take a look at all the essential stuff I wish Google would add into Stadia, and see if they’ve added any of my requested features since last month.
Changes From Last Month
Nothing. If you're an old friend feel free to skip to the end. If you're just joining us, read on.
Stuff They Actually Announced Once Upon A Time, But Isn’t Here Yet
- Ability to preorder games
At this moment we have two games that can be pre-ordered—Hitman 3, and Fenyx Rising. However, I still can’t check this item off in good faith, for two reasons. First, I haven’t count Hitman 3 because it seems like it’s kind of considered as DLC for World of Assassination. It has its own launcher, and the achievements for both (likely all 3) games are shared as a single entry. That seems like DLC to me. Fenyx Rising being available now almost makes me want to check it off, but I won’t for the second reason. If pre-orders were really here, they would REALLY be here. Until we can pre-order Watch Dogs Legion, Assassins Creed Valhalla and all the other games that are currently available for pre-order on other platforms… pre-ordering is not here.
- Crowd Play (tested, but not launched. Almost there! (Still almost there, a month later!))
- Android TV support
- Crowd Choice
- Demos should be available for games that allow them.
Many of the games currently available on the The Stadia Store do have demos available on other platforms. This isn’t as important to me since the refund window is generous, but that is not a proper solution for most people.
- State Share
I don’t know, can we check this off? It’s available on Crayta, but that’s barely an example of the amazing tech that was shown off back in 2019.
- Streaming directly to Youtube
- Family Sharing
- Text chat in Stadia parties
- DONE! View achievements on Mobile
- Share screenshots in Android using the native Share
Out of all of these things, why is screenshot sharing STILL not available after a year? What the actual f.
- USB-C headphones support
- “My Profile” functionality is hidden in several locations. Achievements and Status are hidden in the Friends section, Name and Avatar are in Settings. Consolidate this into a Social/Profile tab.
- A yearly subscription option for Pro, rather than monthly.
- Add a “Clear all notifications” button (for game invites). Similar to “clear all” for notifications on Android and chromeOS. It is very tedious to clear them when there are a dozen or more.
- Local multiplayer should let Player2 sign in with their The Stadia account to allow achievements and save data, rather than have them show up as Guest.
- DONE! Game/Voice audio mixer. I find the game volume to be much louder than the party chat volume. A mixer would be great to let us lower the volume of the game, and increase the volume of the party chat.
- Filters / sorting / search
- Gift purchases, to buy games for your friends.
- User Feedback/Rating system for games. Other stores (Steam) have done a lot of research in this area already on what does/doesn’t work. A simple thumbs up/down system seems to work very well. imo this feature is more about community engagement.
- Allow users to view games in the Store without being logged in. Currently there is no way to view prices or game features if you don’t have an account. I hit this problem recently trying to share a game link to a friend. If you’re not logged in, you can’t browse the store. Huge problem.
- Wishlist for games you want to buy one day.
- Let us purchase games that we’ve claimed through Pro, without having to first cancel the Pro sub. Seriously, why is this even a thing.
Library/Your Games Wishlist
- Filters / sorting / search
- “Info/Details” section within the Library. It is currently impossible to see expanded details on games you own without manually looking them up in the Store.
- Better layout for list of games I own on the Home screen. Those large squares were pretty when I only had 4 games. Once I had a dozen it was annoying. Now it’s… well, more annoying. This is less of a problem on Mobile with the two list style options.
- Favourites list to keep games better organized. This functions like the “installed” section on Xbox/PS where it’s a list of games you intend to play more often, instead of a “recent” list.
- DONE! Add a “Time Played” counter for each game in my Library
- Recognition for 100%‘ing a game (we do have the 15/15 display, but I’m thinking something more obvious that triggers the reward center of your brain, like a PS4 platinum). A crown over the corner of the game card or something like that.
- Reward for 100%‘ers (maybe a badge icon on your profile which gets progressively cooler as you 100% more games—you get it at 1, then every 10/50/100 games after gives the icon some new flair)
- Dedicated tab to view Achievements, it’s currently hidden away behind Friends -> Username -> Achievements which is not obvious at all (chrome)
- View achievements on Chromecast
- Differentiate achievements that are harder to complete (ie, PS4 gold trophies, Xbox achievements with a higher GS value)
- Compare achievement progress with friends (you can now view your friends achievements, but there’s no comparison view. almost there, google!)
- View achievement lists for games you don’t own. Perhaps through the Store page.
- Pin an achievement that you’re proud of to your Profile as a way to show off.
- Sort achievements by playedDate/percentComplete/alphabetical
- View the full Achievements list while a game is open.
That’s it. That’s my list for this month. It’s completely unchanged from last month and that’s a huge bummer. I waffled on crossing off State Share and Crowd Play, but in the end I don’t think they’re really “here” yet. What do you think? Are they really here, or not?
I’d also like to mention here, it’s important that everyone reading this please post your feedback to Google. Feel free to copy and paste all the items in this list if you want, but it’s very important to note that the best way to get feedback or requests into the developers hands is to post them through the app. They don’t spend a lot of time reading reddit and blog posts, but feedback sent through the app doesn’t get ignored. Thank you. :)
Still a great list, and sad that no items have been checked off. Hopefully both Crowd Play, Crowd Choice, YouTube streaming _and_ pre-orders are close to properly releasing.
Larian Studios confirmed that Crowd Choice would be launching with Baldur’s Gate III’s early access(Day 1 for Youtube and Twitch), so we don’t have to wait too long for that feature. Hopefully Crowd Play is included with that as well.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to leave a comment.